Babelfish: Service Integration in Heterogeneous Environments has been selected for funding as one of the brightest projects for building the Next Generation Internet in Europe
WHAT IS ONTOCHAIN?
ONTOCHAIN is a new software ecosystem for trusted, traceable & transparent ontological knowledge management funded by the European Commission as part of the Next Generation Internet initiative (NGI).
ONTOCHAIN empowers internet innovators to develop Blockchain-based knowledge management solutions that address the challenge of secure and transparent knowledge management, as well as service interoperability on the Internet.
The ONTOCHAIN software ecosystem aims to demonstrate its potential in high impact domains, such as eHealth, eGovernment, eEducation, eCommerce, decentralised infrastructures and similar, in order to achieve trustworthy information exchange and trustworthy and transactional content handling.
Babelfish is taking part in ONTOCHAIN to provide service integration in heterogeneous environments. Our project proposes to describe services on a technical, semantic, and governance layer and will implement a component that uses such descriptions to translate interfaces (APIs), data, and data agreements from a foreign (and maybe proprietary format) to an interoperable format understood by the recipient. A registry maintains a list of all services and thus spans up an interoperable data space.
HOW WILL IT WORK?
ONTOCHAIN Open Call 3 was looking for interoperable and sustainable applications that employ Semantic Web and Blockchain concepts, to enhance data quality aspect, as well as the trustworthiness of data communication and handling processes.
Web3 innovators were invited to propose applications covering real needs of end users in vital sectors of the European economy, built on top of the software services of the ONTOCHAIN ecosystem. Applicants could also submit proposals around missing blocks of the ONTOCHAIN infrastructure.
A total of 105 projects applied for the call and the evaluation process resulted in the selection of 14 proposals addressing the following topics:
- Service Integration (Gateways APIs) for ONTOCHAIN applications
- Energy-efficient and sustainable hosting infrastructure for the ONTOCHAIN software ecosystem and services
- Semantic Digital Logbooks for Companies, Buildings, Cars or similar
- Decentralised Fact Checking and Data Credibility for Social Content
- Semantic energy data management
- Automotive, e.g., electric vehicle charging, road side management, car insurance, communication interoperability
- Distribution Logistics / Supply Chains Using Trustworthy Semantic Data
- Data/Digital content /Multimedia marketplace, including social media
- Decentralised Public Services & Common Goods
- Other applications aligned with ONTOCHAIN objectives
ONTOCHAIN will support Babelfish through a 10-month programme and provide funding support up to 119.500 Euros. As part of the action, experts in diverse fields will also provide technology development guidance, working methodology, as well as access to top infrastructure, coaching, visibility and community building support.
FOLLOW OUR JOURNEY THROUGH ONTOCHAIN!
Take a look at the ONTOCHAIN innovators portfolio to see more information about the projects selected. For the Babelfish project find also detailed information at websites from OwnYourData and Kybernos.
To read more about ONTOCHAIN please visit the website: ontochain.ngi.eu.